Monday, December 3, 2007

Delight in Discipline

"The road to life is a disciplined life, ignore correction and you're lost for good."

Proverbs 10:17 The Message version

"If you love learning, you love the discipline that goes with it -- how shortsighted to refuse correction!"

Proverbs 12:1 The Message version

Discipline, not only in obeying God but obeying other rules and laws that are put in place to make it safer, easier to live in society. Disciplining Eli. Living my day to day life in a manner that obeys the Lord and his commandments.

The fact that my sorority women that I advise seem to lack discipline, in following the rules. In something so minor as not doing their house jobs, with house jobs not done the house is messy and often then attitudes spriral downward, cuz if-no -one-else-cares-what-the-house-looks-like-why-should-I? attitude is rampant. Of course than, if the minor rules are ignored it is far easier to dismiss the more important rules and laws with that same "no big deal" attitude, which is never good. Down hill from there, I so see in my own life how that same attitude can affect me as well.

I reflect on times in my life when I was on top of discipline in my life - daily devotions, eating in moderation, exercising regularly, maintaining my house, car and cubicle desk in a reasonable order. Things just go smoother.

Hmmm, reflecting on the above verses if I love learning, I should also love discipline that goes with it. I do love the idea of discipline ... is the DOING of the discipline (ahhhh nuts, back to that action issue I continually have).

What area of your life is in need of discipline or is working effectively because of your discipline?

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

What a great reminder to reflect on my current status of my prayer journal!! Refocusing & delighting in seekng Him daily on the behalf of others!!
Thank you KayDee... I needed to read this!

kjenns said...

Hey Friend.
It is amazing that our "moods and actions" are contagious. The mood of the sorority is the same as my class...a complacent, non-concern. AHHH! It is so frustrating!
Good for you for stepping back and learning from the situation. What in this should we be learning...
I hate that action thing...it is a re-occuring theme!! YIKES!

And just to answer your questions - I need a disciplined approach to most everying in my life...Crap. I better get at it!
Love you Friend!

kjenns said...

KayDee,
Not sure if you will check this or your email today. I sent you an email - and prayed over your conference today. You are covered, dear friend!
Kellie