Friday, December 21, 2007

Oh, Faithful Mary

"And Mary said, 'Yes I see it all now: I'm the Lord's maid, ready to serve. Let it be with me just as you say.' Then the angel left her."

Luke 1:38 The Message Bible

I can't even begin to fathom the many, many thoughts that must have been swirling in young Mary's head as the angel came to give her the news of her pregnancy.

Her incredible faith! To immediatly state, "I'm the Lord's maid, ready to serve." when I'm sure she must have recognized the perceived downside of her decision which I'm ashamed to admit is immediately where my brain would have taken me. I mean in those days, stoning is what happens to young engaged pregnant women, not to mention wondering what her bethothed, family and others would think?

Wow. What would happen in my life if, in any circumstance my initial answer was, "I'm the Lord's maid, ready to serve"? Hmmm, that would have to change my attitude and perspective about any situation. God has a plan for each of our lives. I've wondered what God opportunities I've missed because of fear of what others would think, fear of the unknown or change?

This Christmas, I will remember the humans involved in the Christmas story and recognize that many of them were just like me, were afraid of change, what others might think, and yet in faith, they followed God's direction. And the wonderful start of the World's salvation began, was helped with their obedience.

Lord, please keep present in my mind today and each day following the immediency of Mary's faithful answer to her situation. Your plan is the highest and best plan for my life, I want that in my life. "I'm the Lord's maid, ready to serve."

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

"Ready to serve"

3 words. 3 simple words. but why, oh why are they so hard to "do"??

Thank you for sharing this KayDee - a much needed reminder of what it is to be faithful and that no matter what ... being ready & willing is the best gift we can give our Lord this Christmas!

kjenns said...

KayDee,
I read and reread this. I love the story of Mary. I clipped a recent newpaper article from a (I assume) feminist editor who wrote that Mary was absent from the nativity story. That she should have been the forefront, the focus. WHAT???
I clipped it as a reminder that I need to choose to see her servanthood, in these actions. I want to be that one...that says - ok - if you say so...

Your words "What would happen" are pressing on me...how many times in my DAILY life am I being challenged to live out my faith, my servant heart...but I don't see it?

I think my prayer, here is that I would see those as opportunities to serve God and that when I see it I jump in - full-fledged - full-hearted.

You are such an inspiration. Merry Christmas dear friend. I believe that God has called you to this task of inspiring others. And I belive that you have said "I am your maid, ready to serve."

Blessings today and always. Know that you are loved.

kjenns said...

KayDee,
Do you think we should do our GOALS over our Blogs for New Years? I will channel New Mexico...I like the idea - what do you think?
Kel