Monday, November 5, 2007

Recognition

I crave recognition, there I said it.

I like it when someone gives me a compliment or praise about something I've accomplished. This weekend I was the MC for a Gala event, I did alright but then worried perhaps I didn't do as well as I thought, because I didn't have that many people tell me I did a good job. Public speaking comes rather easily for me, I'd say it is one of the gifts God gave me. Yet, I automatically look around to see who noticed what I did. Look UP, not around!

Sad isn't it? Hmmm, where are my rewards? That'd be in heaven, I know that and yet I do crave what this silly shallow world offers.

Here is what Chuck Swindoll has to say about recognition -- good reminder. Need to focus on others ... gee that focusing on others instead of my own selfish wants and desires does seem to bring my heart where it needs to be-off me and serving others.

"Regardless of your position, honors, degrees, or achievements, just stay real. Junk any idea that you deserve some kind of recognition for a job well done. Who did you do it for anyway? If you did it for God, He has an infinite number of unseen ways to reward you. If you did it for human glory, no wonder you're seeking the credit! Instead, consistently take notice of others' achievements, recognize others' skills and contrubtions ... and say so. That's called serving others in love."

Matthew 20:16

"The last will be first, and the first will be last."

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Reality check... slap across the face... ditto!
Thanks for bringing this to the surface for all of us.
Why do we crave it?
Why are we not satisfied knowing that the real reward is in Heaven?
WOW... that verse is now taped to my viser in my car! (a great way to memorize God's word)

Love to you sweet girl... I bet you were the best MC they've ever had!!

kjenns said...

KD,
I Love this Post. I believe that you are so real and so honest here. I, too, crave that recognition. It is like we want the WORLD to know who we are, when really it shouldn't matter. I want to JUNK my selfish ideas. I want to LOOK UP, not AROUND. I blogged today on the same theme...looking UP. I think it is funny that we were on the same wavelength.
You are a gem, KD. While you think you are selfish - I only see you as the most giving individual I know. You are a precious friend, that consistently serves others in LOVE. Our heavenly father is SO pleased with you.