Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Handful of Thorns

I made the mistake of watching an entire 30-minute episode of the national evening the other night. Geesh, what misery and woe when speaking about our economic condition in the country. Every news story tied back to the economy. Many, many people feeling fearful and anxious.

My Daily Bread reading on Thursday introduced me to Jeremy Taylor, a 17th-century English cleriec who was terribly persecuted for his faith.

After his house being ramsacked, his family poverty stricken, he continued to count the God-given blessings he could not lose. He wrote: "They have not taken away my merry countenancy, my cheerful spirit, and a good conscience; they have still left me with the providence of God, and all His promoises ... my hopes of Heaven, and my charity to them, too and still I sleep and digest, I eat and drink, I read and meditate. And he that hath so many causes of joy, and so great should never choose to sit down upon his little handful of thorns."

Wow, "his little handful of thorns". What wonderful perspective. How very easy it is to forget the abundance God has given you and me. I have a warm house and plenty of food, a family that I love, great friends and community. He provides for me daily. Should I worry and fret about how my 401K is faring on a daily basis? No, I'm going to breath deep of the clean country air, enjoy the amazing fall foilage and hug my boys. I'm not going to sit on my very small handful of thorns, but rather praise my Lord for the many, many blessings He has bestowed on me.

"Thank God! Pray to him by name. Tell everyone you meet what he has done! Sing him songs, belt out hymns, translate his wonders into music! Honor his holy name with Hallelujahs, you who seek God. Live a happy life! Keep your eyes open for God, watch for his works, be alert for signs of his presence."

Psalms 105 1-4 The Message

3 comments:

kjenns said...

Amen sister!

Lindsay said...

Good stuff here KayDee! Not sure how I missed it earlier, but it's GREAT!

Hope that this week is finding you happy, healthy, and counting His blessings one by one :)

Love to you -

Lindsay said...

LOVED your card and letter ... thank you!!!

May 2009 be full of unexpected blessings!! :)