Thursday, November 1, 2007

November?

How did it get to be November already? Wasn't it just September?

Life moves at rapid pace, my constant challenge is to stay in the present, the here, the now. Not constantly wishing for yesterday or anticipating the future, but show up present now. I notice as Eli was growing from infant to toddler, I constantly had to catch myself from the "I can't wait til he can roll-over, til he can walk, talk". Then once his skills have grown, I then reminiscene fondly about when he couldn't walk or talk.

Recognizing it is probably human nature to do this, but I know the Lord wants more for us. Living one's life fully, I believe is showing up for right now. Deep breath, and enjoy the now. How can one enjoy God's incredible creation around us, if always focusing on the past and the future, oblivious to all that surrounds us right now.

With a commute of about 35 minutes, I have the opportunity to watch the sunrise over the wheatfields, watch deer in the fields (where they hopefully stay rather than on the road), watch the leaves the crops change with the season. It is so easy to fall into the "I shoulda or I'm gonna" trap -- replaying or preparing for all those things I should have done yesterday or hope to do today. I need to just rest in Him, drink in the amazing scenery, and breath deeply.

Enjoy the present of today.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I gave a card to my friend Amy last month... and it said:

The best things in life are right where you are.
Enjoy the present.

Thank you for this reminder of how important it is to not worry about tomorrow. To just live in the "present" He has created and soak it up!!

Great banner! ;)

kjenns said...

It is always a challenge to live in the present. For me is isn't necessarily wishing for what was or is, but instead being too busy to slow down and smell the roses. When I am constantly being carried away by the present, it is hard to appreciate the present.
So my goal...to go to one antique shop today (I saw there was a great one next to the new vet's office). Taking time to slow down and enjoy one little pleasure in the day...
I hope that you too, can enjoy your moments. I know that you are actually really good at this - because I have seen how you are with Eli - dropping everything for a moment "in the present."
By the way, I was hoping for a picture of Eli in his costume...if you can please post one!
I love you dear friend.
Happy Day,
Kellie