Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Windows of the Soul

"I am sending you to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me."

Acts 26:17-18

I picked up Reflections for Ragamuffins off the book shelf yesterday. It is a daily devotional by Brennan Manning, author of one of my most favorite books, Ragamuffin Gospel. Here is one of his essays ...

"A person, in a real sense, is what he or she sees. And seeing depends on our eyes. Jesus uses the metaphor of eyes more often than that of minds or wills. The old proverb, 'The eyes are the windows of the soul,' contained profound truth. Our eyes reveal whether our souls are spacious or cramped, hospitable or critical, compassionate or judgemental. The way we see other people is usually the way we see ourselves. If we've made peace with our flawed humanity and have embraced our ragamuffin identity, we are able to tolerate in others what was prevously unacceptable in ourselves."

Something to ponder, those folks who irritate me the most may have some of my more irritatable traits.

I love the song, "Open the Eyes of My Heart" not only to see Jesus but see people as He sees them through eyes of love and compassion.

"I pray also that the eyes of your heart my be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe..."

Ephesians 1:18-19

What are your eyes seeing today?

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

This makes me think of pieces of Psalm 139

Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I stand up; You understand my thoughts from far away.
You observe my travels and my rest;
You are aware of all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue, You know all about it, Lord.
You have encircled me;
You have placed Your hand on me.
...
Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my concerns.
See if there is any offensive way in me; lead me in the everlasting way.

That is my prayer - that He would search me & help me to see what He wants me to see!

kjenns said...

Hooray! I want to embrace my ragamuffinness! I love that if we accept our selves then we are able to love humanity with compassion. How we see others is how we see ourselves...WOW. I believe this. I pray for clear vision and an open heart. Love you dear friend.