Friday, October 12, 2007

23rd Psalm

From the Message Bible
Psalm 23
"God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing. You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from.

True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction.

Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I'm not afraid when you walk at my side. Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure.

You serve me a six-course dinner right in front of my enemies. You revive my drooping head, my cup brims with blessing.

Your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life. I'm back home in the house of God for the rest of my life."

This is has always been one of my favorite Bible chapters. In second grade, my dear Sunday School teacher, Florence Johnson. had us memorize it. I also like the comparison to the shepherd and sheep -- speaks to my love of ag and reminds me of the small sheep herd we had when I was young.

I so enjoy Eugene Peterson's The Message translation. I love that the Lord's beauty and love chases after me every day of my life -- chase, that is an active verb. He is actively seeking us each and every day. I too need to be actively seeking Him.

I see His beauty and love in the sunrise, in the incredible autumn leaves, the bright orange pumpkins, the crisp fall air, in my boy's smiles, and my husband's hugs.

And yes, the verse about reviving my drooping head also seems to speak especially to me these days. He is my reviver, my calm.

Am in awe that our cup is not just full with blessings -- which should be enough-- but brimming with blessings. Of course caffine-addict that I am, I see in mind's eye a large coffee cup bubbling over with blessings.

May you actively see His beauty and love chasing after you today.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I'm so very, very thankful you are doing this. I NEED it. I am inspired. I'm refreshed by your words today - thank you!
Thank you for trusting God, for letting Him speak through you, for sharing your faith!!
Love to you today sweet friend!