Read an article recently about a trend of slowing down, that folks are moving too fast. They want their life to move at a more leisurely pace. It talk about people not know their neighbors, their community. It discussed a yearning for yesteryears when folks had more community -- whether through their town, neighborhood or organizations.
Wow, how blessed am I? Though life goes faster than I would like -- I've got a great set of neighbors and a wonderful community and church. People know me and my family. We joke Eli won't be able to get away with anything growing up -- cuz folks know who he is and will tell us if there is any trouble.
Lots of people don't have that and that makes me sad. For what they are missing that link to community - that sense of belonging and caring.
That wonderful sense of belonging comes with a responsiblity as I see it, to serve in the community where I'm placed. I went to a rural conference this last weekend and met a lot of people who get community and the responsibilities that comes with being a part of a small community. They all were committed to making their small town the best it could be, whatever that looked it. I went with that same purpose in mind for my small town. Of course, I'm only one person, but I gained new ideas on many different topics and was refreshed to be surrounding by so many other rural people who also feel very passionate about where they and their family lives and making a difference in their community.
Another community of support I'm blessed with is web based -- through blogging. I now check in, if not daily, at least every several days with my dear friends to see how they are doing and how I can pray over them and for them. I so appreciate their inspiring words, thoughts and opinions. This relatively new venture for me has brought a closeness to dear dear friends that I don't often get to see face-to-face and yet are a very important part of my life and community! I'm thankful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
True, true, true!!
Again - totally blown away by your thoughts here!!
Thinking I need to do a similar post :)
Love & peace to you and your boys today!!
Dear KD,
I miss community. I don't feel it. I am not obliged to it. I miss people "checking" into my business like when I was in LaSalle.
You are right. Community is the grounding force of our country and our democracy.
Boone is in the hospital - and to prove the point, I took him 30 minutes away to a new Vet - one in a small town. Mark and I just believe that small town doctors and clinics are slower, they take better care, and they don't "over treat." We are really hoping that Boone is good. We love that dog, but I trust in the community way.
Bless you for your service heart, friend. You are a treasure.
Can't wait until I am back in the "small town" community.I want that pace!
Kellie
PS - love the "giant" flag picture. I really love checking in with you in blog-world as well!
Hey.... send me an email... I have something for you and don't have your address saved at home.
Post a Comment